Advertise Here

And So It Vegans...

- Another Blogger Blog's

We're not living in a vegan world. This is not a surprise to anyone, but at least it seems lately people are taking up more of an interest in the world they live in. Earth is our home, after all, and just because we may not see the effects from climate change in our lifetime doesn't mean that our child won't. Our choices today reflect on what happens tomorrow. Luckily there are a few places that bring a smile to my face with their choices.

Too often, vegans and vegetarians are noted to be bitchy, sour people that detest other people. Yes, we must all be bitter about humanity, it's a prerequisite. I don't like this label, or the way people see us so all I can do is set a good example by educating without being "preachy" or scaring them off. This doesn't mean that I have to be majorly inconvenienced all the time, either. I like it when a company actually tries to make it easier on us, the new hippies of the world, who want to treat our planet with the respect it deserves.

I recently walked into a Starbucks and asked for a coffee with soy milk. The woman was really nice about it and asked if I still wanted the whipped cream on it, or not. Obviously I declined the whipped cream, but it's nice of them to ask before just plopping it on top. It's also nice that they even offer soy milk in the first place. My goal is to start a petition in the very near future to get Tim Hortons to follow in Starbucks' footsteps, and maybe even adopt a free-trade policy as well. Little things like this can make a difference.

Montana's Cookhouse
was a favorite chain restaurant of mine even when I was an omnivore, and now that I'm vegan they still give me an excuse to go. A lot of die-hard vegans would cringe at the thought of giving money to a meat-pimping company, but to those vegans I say: Shut the hell up.

Any change that enables vegetarians and vegans to be welcomed into the mainstream is a good thing and by boycotting them because they serve steak and ribs just reinforces the bad stigma we already have into the public eye. Don't eat the meat, but don't shun those who want to give us veggie burgers, either. In that respect, their veggie burgers are some of the best I've ever had. If you really want to eat out, and get a decent burger this is the place. You'll have an even easier time if you're a vegetarian at these places, since cheese is still used in their appetizers and burgers, but it's progress. Along with a fantastic burger, my waitress was also pretty cool.
When I requested the mashed potatoes, she asked me, "You want that dressing on the side, correct?" I was pleased that she at least asked instead of just dumping it on. That shows consideration, and I appreciate it.

Kelsey's used to have a really delicious zucchini appetizer, which, as long as you didn't eat the dip it was vegan. Well, they got rid of it, which really makes me sad. In fact there aren't many vegetarian appetizer options on their menu anymore (except for the bruschetta), which is a step backward for them. I checked to make sure they were still offering their tasty veggie burger, and they are, but for some reason a picture isn't even shown (while the other burgers get a little thumb nail).

With their brand new menu change, the veggie sandwich (which was vegan friendly) is mysteriously missing, though the tag line on the page boasts "our great selection of ALL NEW SANDWICHES has something for everyone." Everyone but me, I suppose? If you want the penne vodka pasta, which sounds vegetarian, tough luck. They throw bacon in it.

My local supermarket, which happens to be a President's Choice brand store has recently gotten more vegetarian friendly. The tofu and faux meats used to be pushed into the corner, lost behind the real meat and pasta. Then, one day, they mysteriously disappeared all together. I was really saddened by this change, because I had found that their limited offering to be helpful, at the very least. A week later a visit to the same supermarket proved that they didn't get rid of the vegetarian section, they expanded upon it! They moved the section to the middle of the store, right next to the produce in a very high-traffic area. I giggled at the sight of an eldery woman picking up a package of Yves brand Bratts. She looked at them with the, "what the hell is this?!" look.

Not only that, but I noticed that my supermarket now carries just about everything a Whole Foods store carries, without the obnoxiously high prices. They're also now charging 5 cents per plastic bag you use, which made me jump for joy! I always bring my own bags to the store, and request that they don't put my groceries in any plastic. Ikea also charges people for plastic bags, and urges their customers to bring their own. I overhead an Ikea employee bitching to another employee about how there are so many rude people that attack them during the day because they charge for bags. They're obviously missing the message.

Many people are missing the important message, but at least there are improvements out there, and there will be more to come.

0 comments:

Post a Comment